permaculture - Take action now to save mail order shipping of poultry.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Pc Envirolink <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Take action now to save mail order shipping of poultry.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:59:42 -0400

Attention:
PETA intends to destroy the mail-order delivery of rare breed fowl. This
is a very dangerous move that needs a swift resolution or hatcheries
across the country will die.Please help.
Thanks,
Keith

<http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/action.asp>

Dear Friends and Customers of
Murray McMurray Hatchery,

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

The United States Post Office is the only service in the United States,
which will carry day old poultry. UPS,
Federal Express, Airborne Express, and every other carrier in the US
will not carry poultry. As all of you who
have bought live day-old poultry from us know, we ship your order for
baby chicks, ducklings, goslings, etc. to
you via the airlines. We are able to do this because all airlines have a
very lucrative contract with the United
States Post Office to carry mail. Murray McMurray Hatchery is located a
short distance from Minneapolis,
Minnesota which happens to be the hub for Northwest Airlines, the
airline which carries nearly 100% of our
baby chicks.

We were just notified that as of August 15, 2001 Northwest has decided
to join a long list of other airlines,
which refuse to carry day-old poultry as United States Mail. (In the
past the post office has allowed the airlines
to pick and choose which type of US Mail they wish to carry.) This
decision by Northwest Airlines will probably
force the few remaining airlines that do carry poultry to follow suit.
The end result of these actions is there will
no longer be a way to purchase poultry through the mail because no
airlines will carry your order. Unless this
can be resolved Murray McMurray Hatchery and most other mail order
hatcheries will more than likely go out of
business.

We are begging for your support and help on this issue. Click on the
link below to bring up a letter to your
congressional representatives we would very much like to have you
forward. WE MUST make them aware of
this very crucial problem. We are very worried here at McMurray Hatchery
that mail order poultry, like so many
other great things of our rich heritage, may become a thing of the past.
This issue does not only affect
hatcheries. Every feed store, 4-H Club, poultry equipment manufacturer,
pharmaceutical company, school
science project, and any other individual or company which has a finger
in raising poultry on the small scale will
be hurt.

Please lend us your assistance on this issue. Thank you.

Murray McMurray and Mike Lubbers, Owners
Murray McMurray Hatchery, Inc.

Go to the Take Action Page to see what you can
do.