permaculture - field mice (was: Re: [Fwd: help, taking care of the earth is becoming illegal!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: field mice (was: Re: [Fwd: help, taking care of the earth is becoming illegal!]
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:20:13 +0200

> exotic cats if it weren't for my compost heap. Are field mice vermin

depends. in the dry summer of 1994 that followed a warm winter the east of
austria lost 60% (!) of its field crops to field mice. when i walked the 50
meters to my garden patch at the time, between 10 and 20 mice crossed my
path less than 1 meter away. mayn a neighbouring gardener had 90% losses and
more, cats only lazily looked at mice playing in front of them less than
half a meter away... in 1994 field mice where vermin - but than again
anything becomes a problem if it gets disproportionally out of hand.

i think europe is a bit advantaged in the question of natural vegetation and
lowly tended gardens, for here you find in many a public park "natural
corners" that are mown only once a year, contain dead wood, rockpiles etc -
and planting only natives in your garden is most trendy for more than 10
years now.

georg

  • field mice (was: Re: [Fwd: help, taking care of the earth is becoming illegal!], georg parlow, 08/11/2001