permaculture - Re: mandalas, keyholes, herbspiral

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mandalas, keyholes, herbspiral
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:58:22 +0200

> Mandala's, Keyholes, Herb Spirals give room for artistic flair which could
> bring them into backyards
> where food otherwise wouldn't be grown.

i liked to build herb spirals with groups, for it gave me a chance to do an
introductory talk with slides on pc, and then, as a demo of the principles,
we went out and built - and i think a lot of people attended that wouldn
have come to a talk alone.

but also: to my understanding the herb spirals main thing isnt its
productivity, but to provide different habitats (southslope, northslope, dry
and moist) so i can grow the kitchenherbs right njext to the door and dont
need to go hunting throughout the garden for them. i have never built one
for myself, but have eaten at a friends from the spiral.

and: i think pc is about more than just productivity - and the artistic
quality satisfies a need for beauty and visible patterns, which is quite ok
as far as i am concerned. so even if they dont grow a single tomatoe more -
they still have an additional output.

georg

  • Re: mandalas, keyholes, herbspiral, georg parlow, 07/24/2001