permaculture - Re: Just a few holes in the Permaculture suit?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Just a few holes in the Permaculture suit?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 01 12:35:12 -0000

>The debate has concentrated on the consequences of Trade Marking on
>teaching
>Permaculture, an area of financial profit for many involved in PC. Why has
>the debate
>concentrated on the area of profit if there is a flaw in the ethic?

I don't perceive the debate as revolving so much around the profit factor
(except for the potential financial gains the Pc Inst might hope to gain
out of licencing) There seems to be more concern about the 'ethics' of
the issue and the back-flip on long held 'policies' and rights to teach,
use the terms and get on with our work.

Many of us deriving a living as full time Pc designers/teachers eek out a
very modest income and 'profits' are not lucrative in this business (I am
only aware of very few exceptions). For my own part in the 18 years I've
been working full time as a permaculture teacher, designer, activist I
would be fincially better off on the dole - it is the work and vision for
a more sane and equitable world for our children to inherit that is the
driving passion.

The key issues I see at stake here are
1. the integrity of permaculture as a discipline & as a movement
2. the right of dedicated and competent Pc teachers and designers to
continue their work
3. the need for us to be proactive in the face of this affront and
organise ourselves to ensure 1. and 2. and embrace the future of Pc
beyond Bill as an open and democratic forum of pc activitists and
practitioners

Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au