permaculture - Re: trademarking

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: trademarking
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:13:30 +1000

>This whole debate turns on two issues:
>1. The need to respect an authors work, and
>2. The propogation of a brilliant set of ideas.

The more I think of that, the more I think that they should be two
separate things.

Royalties paid to Bill is one thing, credit where credit is due.

However, I fully support Toby in his suggestion that the
administration of PDC's be governed by an international body - and
this is where I add 'democratic and completely open in it's dealings'.

Does Bill's Institute have elected directors? Any representatives of
PDC practitioners? A Charter? No doubt these things are in place, but
where is the voice for the people that the Institute governs?

I had the instance last year of a nameless, faceless person signing
emails from a particular Institute (not Bill's) giving me a hard time
over something that was none of their business. Could have been a
Wwoofer for all we know (it wasn't), but the point is that there was
no accountability, much less any right for them to interfere.

Whatever model wins out and governs permaculture PDC administration,
etc, whether that be a business owned by Bill and Lisa, or a
democratic international body - there is still a LOT of work to do!

The trademark dispute hearing, if the objections raised here are
tabled, should give us a clear picture of where we are going. Once
that is decided, then I suggest that we support the 'winner' to move
the whole thing forward.

Marcus