permaculture - trademarks and all

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ivone Riquelme" <florar@terra.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: trademarks and all
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:42:43 -0300

Hi All

Been out of touch for some time. Been having a break from teaching -
classroom style, and spending most of my time teaching -in-situ-style with
three indigenous communities here in central western Brasil. Working in
helping improve food security, protect the remaining biodiversity in their
reserves and rescuing their traditional knowledge of medicinal plants. Guess
its Permaculture - but then who cares what its called as long as it helps.

Also have some time to study Portugues, and my adopted biome - Cerrado. And
obviously a lot of time enjoying my relationship with the wonderful
brasilian woman who recently agreed to become my wife.

And we have had time to legally form the Instituto de Permacultura
Cerrado-Pantanal, and to buy a hectare of land on the edge of our city. We
plan to create a Permaculture Centre and a school dedicated to Permaculture.
We plan to teach PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSEs.........ooooops.....delete
that.....we plan to teach courses in permaculture practices, agroecologia,
agroflorestria, planajamento sustenavel, desenvolvemento ecologica,
deenvolvimento apreciativo, construçao ecologica........no end of great
titles for great courses we can offer.  AND as indicated by Ian Lillington,
people will come because of our local reputation, not because we have
APPROVAL from someone on some island that no-one here has ever heard of
(assuming we bothered to apply).

Someone in this discussion mentioned the charge for diplomas for students in
third world countries - which previously were gratis. Maybe my story can
clarify that one.

Some time back, a number of permaculturists in mexico asked about receiving
their diploma from the INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE. I checked with the Institute
in Australia, and dully received a copy of the Academy Handbook. These
people had received their diplomas from the Instituto de Permacultura de
Mexico AC, but felt that the international certificate would have more
influence - the mexican authorities are very impressed by documents that are
NOT mexican - a strange anti-nationalism. Anyway, 7 of them finally said
they wanted to apply - found the money (which represents quite a deal of
money for them) and gave me their details.  Few were my students (most had
undertaken a course with teachers from US long before I arrived on the
scene), but all were friends, so I was familiar with their work. I wrote to
the Institute - Tasmania - with the details, my recommendations and of
course a cheque for the whole group - obviously I wrote the information in
english.  After some delay and an email of enquiry, I received an email from
Lisa acknowledging my letter and the cheque, and informing me that it would
take a little while to process as she was preoccupied with her father, who
was ill at the time.  A year and a half later and many emails to which
our dough, as they say in Oz.  I cant help but wonder what the mexicans now
think of Bill Mollison. Of course, maybe its not that big a deal for them -
they have a long, long history of being abused, cheated and lied to, by
their leaders.

So, my advice to anyone who has to have second thoughts about investing the
$35 in a Diploma - think a third fourth and fifth time - if $35 is a lot of
money for a certificate  - its going to be a GREAT deal of money to invest
and get ZILCH in return.

On a happier note, HI to all those friends that I havent seen or contacted
for a while. And for those interested in things like wedding photos of long
lost friends - you can check out http://skye.8k.com

And to all the others....keep up the good work.... thanks to Bills initial
inspiration we are able to make a valuable contribution in many worthwhile
areas ......but its time to outgrow the dependancy on Daddy....time to move
out on your own.....but one quote from Bill just to wind up......GET OUT
THERE AND DO IT, YOU DONT NEED PERMISSION FROM ANYONE.

Skye

Instituto de Permacultura Cerrado-Pantanal, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brasil
http://permaculture.freeservers.com

  • trademarks and all, Ivone Riquelme, 07/17/2001