permaculture - mulch on corn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: mulch on corn
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:22:32 -0700

Hi,
I'm looking to do some kind of sheet mulch between the rows in my corn
patch. I've been using a mix of compost, paper and rice straw on everything
else, but I read in a companion planting book that wheat straw causes a
substantially reduced yield in corn. Does anyone have any experience with
this, and does rice straw have the same effect? I don't have leaves or any
other mulch material readily available right now, so I'm a bit perplexed as
to what to do. We just had a couple inches of unseasonable rain, and I want
to take advantage of the moist ground to get the mulch on.

On another subject, does anyone know of any guild plants for pistachio
trees? The book I have on them says they like limey soil, if that suggests
anything. How about guild plants for jujube trees? I've just finally got
three pistachios and a jujube out of the pots, and am wondering what else
to plant nearby.

Thanks in advance!
Mikal

  • mulch on corn, Mikal Jakubal, 06/30/2001