permaculture - Re: Railroad Ties

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Knapp <jknapp@pacific.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Railroad Ties
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:37:19 -0800

At 10:08 PM -0400 6/26/01, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Better yet, build your beds out of the ties, then use them as one side
of a concrete form - build forms inside the beds out of plywood to
contain your concrete. Mix batches of SakCrete concrete (good stuff
and has plenty of portland in it for strength) in a wheelbarrow,
dumping each into the forms until you have created a nice non-toxic
liner inside the rrtie structure. No expensive at all and near
permanent.

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

I have been watching this thread with interest.
This is a great idea. I've been struggling with the construction of steps and raised beds on a hillside and was trying to find less toxic alternatives including would treated with something other than arsenic. Very hard to find and very expensive. But I think I can find reasonably priced used(depleted) railroad ties and lining them with concrete may be just the thing. Thanks!

John Knapp

  • Railroad Ties, Claude Genest, 06/26/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Railroad Ties, John Knapp, 06/27/2001