permaculture - Permaculture Courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jasmine Miller" <jasmiller@lycos.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Permaculture Courses
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:50:13 -0400

I would like to do a permaculture course. I've been doing as much as I can
on my own from reading the books, but would like to get more in depth and
also get to see more in progress examples. I'd like to do one in more or
less a similar climate to what we plan to live in. So that would make Hawaii
or a desert permaculture course unlikely :-). Where we will be living is
uncertain due to job changes, but we are aiming for temperate climates.
Later, I'd like
to expand knowledge to be skilled at tropical and desert as well, but think I
could do more if I focused on one type of area to start with.

From reading about the courses, the ones at Earthaven/Culture's Edge or
Occidental Arts and Ecology look interesting. The ones Toby Hemenway talks
about doing sound interesting as well, but lately seem to have been scheduled
for an alpine region. Maybe there will be some different locations in the
next months???

So if you have been part of any of these or any similar, I would like to know
what you thought of the courses/locations/instructors/guest
instructors/instructional materials or anything I should have asked but don't
know enough to ask about :-).

Thanks!

Jasmine

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

At 09:50 PM 5/29/01 -0400, Jasmine Miller wrote:

> >From reading about the courses, the ones at Earthaven/Culture's Edge or
> Occidental Arts and Ecology look interesting. The ones Toby Hemenway
> talks about doing sound interesting as well, but lately seem to have been
> scheduled for an alpine region. Maybe there will be some different
> locations in the next months???
>
>So if you have been part of any of these or any similar, I would like to
>know what you thought of the courses/locations/instructors/guest
>instructors/instructional materials or anything I should have asked but
>don't know enough to ask about :-).

I took my design course at OAEC, what seems like a lifetime ago, but was
only a few years. The instructors (Brock & Penny) truly care about the
material, about the class, about sharing with us a way of perception and
thought, and about helping us to believe that we can do this world-healing
work. There was some focus on northern California ecosystems - which is
what I wanted - but the principles are applicable worldwide, with the
appropriate research.

The site is beautiful as well, an example of what organic gardening,
sustainable technologies, and Permaculture thinking can create over
time. I can only hope that my own site will one day approach the richness
of what I found (and continue to find) at OAEC.

Just my $0.02,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S.
Ivanova, ret.

  • Permaculture Courses, Jasmine Miller, 05/29/2001