permaculture - Re: Foot-and-Mouth

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Foot-and-Mouth
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 01 19:53:23 +1100

>I would be interested in any other references to improvement in soils as a
>result of grazing animals-
>Neil Barraclough

here's a few...
* Suggest you check out the work done by Alan Savory in USA praries,
Africa & Australia and background research behind 'Cell-block Grazing'
system
* Robyn Treadwell, Kimberlies, Aust. has regenerated severely
degraded/desertified grassland (savannah) using cattles as the weeders,
seeders and manurers of the system with well managed rotational grazing
* a dairy farmer in southern NSW revitalised his soil, improved pasture,
herd health & productivity by introducing a rotational grazing system,
increasing the cattle density in small areas for short periods and
resting the land for several months before grazing again. In the process
he eliminated the need for artificial fertilisers and haymaking.
* Traditional (pre modern agribiz) European agriculture depended on the
animals (mainly cattle + pigs & sheep) for their soil nutrients
Some of the above are documented in articles in back issues of PIJ -
sorry I don't have time to seek out issue & page numbers.

Mother nature didn't introduce animals into the ecosystem to destroy it
but to serve the system and support it in many ways including enriching
the soil. It's only bad management and modern agribiz practices that
creates problems with animals.
Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au