permaculture - Re: research on pc projects needed, 3

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: research on pc projects needed, 3
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:54:28 -0300

Title: Re: research on pc projects needed
My proposal for permaculturists interested in working in aid to do some voluntary work (or paid work, if they can get it - we need more people to be paid for their permaculture work so that it becomes integrated into their lives and income stream) with aid agencies in their own country was to enlarge their skills and to provide insight into the aid industry, the limitations that aid agencies receiving government or other donor funding in developed countries work under and how the agencies respond to the needs of their partners in developing countries.

Yes, that is one very important function,.  But I also suggest that bringing the multi-disciplinary tools of Permaculture into the aid agencies could help these go in the direction that they are trying to go, out of the neo-colonialist top-down approach to a facilitative function  of local realitites.
As to documentation, I would ask what do we actually document in Permaculture
This is the difficult part, isn't it?

In this vein, I thought Sharon´s suggestion really interesting: how many of the total necessities are being furnished by the farm. This kind of survey before and after ( allowing a space of some years!) could be a very interesting way of testing the effectiveness of sustainable farming programs, something that might not be measured by other ouputs,and I would also like to thank her contribution, which was a great insight.

Marsha