permaculture - Chicken Runs / Chicken Forage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: igg <igg@intrepid.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Chicken Runs / Chicken Forage
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 08:02:05 -0400

I'm getting pretty tired of the 'rotaional grazing' approach with my
rhode island reds. As they've learned to hop over the electric
netting, I'm starting to lose more and more of them to opportunistic
predators.

Looking for the security of the chicken wire run, a friend told me
about 'rotational runs,' a method of maintaining a heavily mulched
'yeard' and a series of cultivated runs that are harvest by the
chickens at appropriate times.

I'm at a loss on how to scale this (how many sq ft per bird?) and
would really like a list of good chicken forage plants for this
mid-Atlantic region.

Your suggestions w.b. appreciated.

thank

-Allan Balliett
"between the Hills"
Loudoun Co., VA

  • Chicken Runs / Chicken Forage, igg, 04/08/2001