permaculture - Hawks and windmills

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: igg <igg@intrepid.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hawks and windmills
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:19:17 -0400

At about the time I realized the potential for wind generated power at my newest site, I found out that the propellers of wind-powered generators are apparently very damaging to migrating birds, particularly hawks. (We happen to be in an area that has been identified as a hawk migration route.)

I have a hard time believing that hawks will fly into a spinning blade, but I imagine I'm wrong about that. I would think that someone has developed a way to make wind generators safe for hawks.

Can someone help me?

thanks

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co., VA