permaculture - Re: Food and shelter for guinea fowl

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Food and shelter for guinea fowl
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:55:31 -0700

Hi Jan, I am a great fan of guinea fowl primarily because they are voracious insectivores. We were plagued by grasshoppers until we brought in guineas and turkeys. They are great because they can free range and don't dig up your garden like chooks, and they roost in trees so no need for a fancy house. I find them very predator alert which is important in our area which is infested with domestic dogs, and blessed with coyotes. I through out a little grain in the morning, when I tend to the chickens, just to keep them around. They do tend to roam and if you have a small property may take up with the neighbors if the browsing is better over the fence. I've heard that you can keep their wings clipped to curtail some of the wanderlust but then they would be subject to predation. For the most part ours stay home and tend the bugs. They are most subject to predation when they hatch a new brood because they won't abandon their young.

Hope this helps.
Scott