permaculture - (fwd) Field days NZ style

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lflondon@mindspring.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (fwd) Field days NZ style
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:56:55 -0500

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:54:05 +1300, in alt.permaculture "Carman"
<calm@wave.co.nz> wrote:

Hi All

This may or may not be of interest.
We have in our area various *like minded* community groups, we are
all
evolving the process of moving closer together and sharing open days,
information and events.
Some of the events that are scheduled for this year include "House
Cows"....."Beekeeping"....."Goats" etc etc etc.

On Sunday we joined some of the other *likemindeds* and visited a
property
of some dear friends, the field was day jointly organised by a small
farming
group., and a local Permaculture Group.

It was a fantastic day ! At least 50 people turned out, representing
various local groups. The weather was perfect with just the right
amount of
breeze to keep us cool.

The property owners (henceforth known, as M & T out of respect for
privacy)
have been on their property for 10 years and have planted intensively.
At
the beginning of the tour 'M' emphasised the *keywords* ' variety '
and '
multi purpose ' drawing our attention to those philosophies in
relation to
the gardens and plantings.

We began by wandering through the dense, shadey understorey of the
Food
jungle, where Bumblebees danced among the lush understorey of
Peppermint and
Strawberry scented Geraniums, Myoga Ginger, Mountain Pawpaw. Hanging
above
our heads were also a diverse range of fruit, including Banana,
Passionfuit,
Nashis, Prunes, Plums etc.

We wandered past a small Pond water feature, which is densely covered
in the
delicate little Azola weed, Anna from the permaculture group explained
to me
that Azola is a great nitrogen fixer and stops Mosquitos from
inhabiting the
stagnant pond, it can be harvested as a suitable nutrient for the
garden.

When 'M' and 'T' first arrived at the site they planted heavily in
Tagasaste, Coprosma Robusta, Puriri, Whau, Avocado but only a few
Pittosporum. Many plants have self seeded and many of the Avocados
grew up
out of the compost.
Vines grow up and along the shadey understoreys, along the paths and
in
accordance with *nature's architecture*.

There is a large area of native bush, aprox 12 acres which 'M'
explained is
a large resource for native seed. The birds help to spread that seed
throughout the property so there is natural regeneration occuring.

Other native plants that feature prominently on the property include
Kawakawa, which 'M' recommends as a wonderful plant suitable for
soothing
sore throats and toothache, the berries have a sweet, slightly
turpentine
flavour, althought she warned against eating too many of the berrries
lest
one get too excited, (I wasn't really sure what she meant by
that....?).

The soil is Mairoa Ash which orignally arrived in the region from a
volcanic
eruption. Their water is supplied by a spring below the house site, it
is
captured in a regenerating swamp area and then gravity fed from a
large tank
down to the house. They are hoping to eventually install solar and
wind
power.

The Property is nestled on the edge of a mountain, or as we say here
"in the
shadow of a mountain" and the house is built on a ridge, which
apparently
Bill Mollison describes as being a "type 1 Error, with no solution".
'M' & 'T' found that planting heavily and the regenerating bush has
helped
shelter the site and lift the air stream.
'M' recommended that when developing a property it is very important
"observe for clues".
'M' also intimated that if she had her time again she would have
planted
many more flax bushes, she has taken up the fine Art of flax weaving,
so
the flax on the property is being well cared for and utilised, there
was a
photographic display of her baskets and artworks.

We paused under the Rangiora, a tree with a large dark leaf which has
white soft underside which was historically used for writing messages,
one
or the Permaculture group mentioned that it was also used for Toilet
Paper,
to which a Tree Cropper replied "a different type of message"
and the permaculturist quickly responded "A smear campaign!",
not everyone heard that commentary but for those of us who were
listening it
raised eyebrows and a great deal of laughter.
Oh the value of such banter! (big grin)
learning all the time !!!

'T' puts out Possum and Rat bait stations to help protect the native
Kereru
and Tui birds who nest in the bush. They also have hundreds of Pukeko
bird
and a feral colony of Peacocks.

Some years ago 'T' planted Pines as a quick shelter measure, they are
now
aiming to take those out but stressed this should be done gradually to
avoid
upsetting the balance.

In 1993 they planted a 'Firewood area', consisting of Acacias and
Eucalypts,
the trees were grown from seeds which arrived in the mail
and the species were chosen for high heat and their suitability for
coppicing. The trees have grown into a small forest but they have
never had
to use any of the wood, they have mainly used prunings, gorse and
tagaste
for their fires but the small "Firewood forest" serves as a great
lookout
point for the native Kereru. From their vantage point the Kereru
deliver
native seeds in their droppings, the Wax eyes also disperse smaller
seed
species such as Kahikatea and Coprosma.

Under the shade of the Forewood Forest we paused for a while to
consider the
value of the day and the congregation of such a tremendous pool of
information.

One woman present, from our local council of elders, was able to tell
us of
her visits to Israel and the "Blaustein Research Centre", she
commented that
right through Israel everyone has Solar Panels and the cost of heating
for
the entire year is $15 American.
She also told us she has recently visited a local herb grower who has
vision of developing her property in the way of Permaculture and is
open to
having people visit for open days.

Some small landholders., gave us a brief overview of the diversity of
their
members and we all agreed on the value and importance of sharing in
events
like this and the tremendous diverse range of knowledge that the
participants bring to the event.

the Permaculture group took the time to extend a warm invitation us to
the
openeing of the community Demonstration Garden
17 March 4 - 6pm.

This was a hugely successful event and I highly recommend that all
peoples
of *likemind* begin to take part in these types of occassion, it is
rejuvenating, inspiring and of tremendous educational value,
particularly in
an age when people are charging for their knowledge.
To congrgate with others who are happy to freely share their knowledge
and
experience is truly inspiring when the going gets tough.

Carman
Secretary Soil & Health Assoc.,
Waik Branch

  • (fwd) Field days NZ style, lflondon, 02/20/2001