permaculture - Re: Gardening songs...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gardening songs...
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:08:18 -0800

Graham: Chris Roth is the author of a great little book called "The Beetless
Gardening Book," a collection of his original garden-oriented lyrics set to
familiar Beatles melodies. It would work for you if you can find the chords
to the songs; they're not provided in the book, but I would imagine
somewhere in Britain, in some old hippie's mouldering archive . . . or maybe
everyone in the UK born after 1965 has the music genetically implanted.

You can see the book at http://members.aol.com/growseed/

Its put out by Carrotseed Press Box 1174, Cottage Grove, OR 97424 USA
0-9657090-2-7 $8. Since Chris is a friend of mine, I will tread on copyright
by reposting a lyric sample from his website. You can figure out which
Beatles song it's from (note to the lyrics: Green Gulch is a noted organic
community near San Francisco).

"A Hard Clay Soil"
(excerpted from pp. 32-33 of The Beetless' Gardening Book: An Organic
Gardening Songbook/Guidebook, by Chris Roth. © 1997.

I've got a hard, clay soil
And I've been working like a dog
To add humus so that when it rains
I've got a garden, not a bog
But when the dry season comes
Instead of fertile, rich crumbs
It's still like a concrete log

You know I work all day
Digging ditches, adding mulch
I've tried forking, and been known to pray
For soil imported from Green Gulch
But when I get home at night
I know the garden's alright
As our veggie bin starts to bulge

When I'm home everything seems to be right
When I'm home - but then I'm dreaming of bentonite, -nite, yeah

There are more nutrients in heavy clay
Than in pure sand, which drains too fast
But if I could really have my way
I'd like a loam that's made to last
I'd leave these harsh hillsides for
The fertile valley floor
A garden there would be a blast
Ow!

I'd leave these harsh hillsides for
The fertile valley floor
A garden there would be a blast

When I'm home everything seems to be right
When I'm home - but then I'm dreaming of bentonite, -nite, yeah

I've got a hard, clay soil
And I'll be working 'til I rot
'Cause in pleasure and in toil
What you've got is what you've got