permaculture - Re: curing/preserving bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: curing/preserving bamboo
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 01 10:35:45 -0700

>If you cure bamboo, then is it not preserved? What is the difference between
>curing and preserving? How do you cure without electricity? how do you build
>a smokehouse?
curing or seasoning, means to dry and stabilize, ie both for building and
say, crafting a flute, a very critical example. Preserving is maybe or maybe
not an added step to increase rot resistance, and has been done with nasties
like pentachlorophenol "we had one worker who died- he wouldn't use the
protective gear" You can cure with immersion in water, long drying in stabile
conditions- shade, no wild humidity swings, or "flame" the bamboo over gas or
charcoal (healthier than wood) fire. You build a smokehouse anyway ya wanna,
as long as you follow the relavant laws of physics, like heat rises.
-R

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: curing/preserving bamboo, rick valley, 01/29/2001