permaculture - RE: [Fwd: bamboo curing]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "PINC" <pinc@svn.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [Fwd: bamboo curing]
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:51:51 -0800

Hi,

There is a method of curing bamboo by digging a long shallow trench the
length of the bamboo. Start a fire in the trench until there are coals.
Somehow suspend the bamboo over the coals with rope so you can raise and
lower the bamboo essentially bar b queing the bamboo. As the bamboo heats up
it will sweat out oil and water. Take a rag and wipe it down as you turn the
bamboo to roast evenly. This re-distributes the oil, kills insects and keeps
the bamboo from cracking in dryer climates.

Good luck

Penny