permaculture - Non-food wetland crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu, bamboogrove@cmug.com
  • Subject: Non-food wetland crops
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:41:42 -0500

The Real Goods store in Hopland,CA has an area like this in their
demonstration garden, but I can't remember what all they have
in there.

Two other things strategies I can think of to try would be searching
through the Native American Ethnobotany online database for interesting
ideas and searching through the Plants for a Future online data base.

For Willow information and plant cuttings:
American Willow Growers Network
Bonnie Gale
412 Country Road 31
Norwich NY 13815
607-336-9031
Closest willow nurseries to you that I know of are
1) Colvos Creek
in Vashon Island, WA
colvoscreek@juno.com 206-749-9508
2) Forestfarm
in Williams OR
forestfarm@a1pro.net 541-846-7269
3) Japonica Water Gardens
Springfield, OR
541-746-5378

What about water plants for food or fertilizer? Water lilies
for sale to people wanting to stock ponds? Fish to eat or
look at depending on where you are on the food spectrum?

Water chestnuts.

Daylilies at the margin. Also tasty. Lots of recipes in the Delightful
Delicious Daylily by Peter Gail.

Or mushroom compost or logs above water on platforms or pseudo
trees(trunk structure with removable logs)?

There are american river canes which are very straight that primitive technologists
like to use to make arrows, again depending on your food choices.
And there are also water plants that they like to use to make other
things. See nativetech.com for some things or ask on the
Primitive Technology list:
SUBSCRIBE primitive-skills-group
to the address
majordomo@uqac.uquebec.ca