permaculture - Re:Hagelin's testimony on GE foods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Hagelin's testimony on GE foods
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:49:05 -0500

I just received a very excellent presentation about the dangers of GE
foods by Prez candidate John Hagelin which I would be happy to send to
those who request it. I suspect that it could be found online somewhere,
but that info did not come to me with the letter. Here's the intro:

On Tuesday, November 28,2000, Dr. John Hagelin presented a powerful
statement about the hazards of genetically engineered foods to an open
meeting of an
Environmental Protection Agency panel in Washington, D.C.

The Scientific Advisory Panel for the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide,
and
Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) held the meeting to consider the possible
allergenic
effects of StarLink corn on human health. StarLink was recently found to
be
contaminated by genetically engineered strains of corn that had not been

approved by the EPA for human consumption.

Dr. Hagelin's testimony created an explosion of concern among the
largely
pro-genetic engineering audience at the open meeting and created a fresh

wave of scientific scrutiny about the hazards of GE foods.