permaculture - Re: trees 'n water - an experiment in progress

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: trees 'n water - an experiment in progress
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:29:03 -0800

Aloha,

For all of you out there wondering about the trees and water thing, in 2 to
20 years I'll have one experimental result to report, unfortunately...half
to three-quarters (depending on where one draws the lines) of the relatively
small watershed (on neighboring land, alas) for a surface-seep spring that
has been the domestic water supply for some family land for over 100 years
was clearcut and bulldozed for a gated subdivision this past fall.

The dear CA dept. of forestry tried the "your spring flow will increase
after they cut" line on me too. Sure, for a few years, maybe even a decade
or two, as the water held cyclically in the ground by the forest rushes out
never to return...and who knows, maybe they're right, but I'm highly
doubtful. I expect the spring boxes will need more frequent cleaning, and I
don't even want to think about what's going to end up in the water when
construction happens uphill...

Stay tuned...

John Schinnerer
Human Habitat Design
Cultural & Ecological Designing
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

  • Re: trees 'n water - an experiment in progress, John Schinnerer, 12/01/2000