permaculture - an observation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: an observation
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:08:15 -0600

just a small ode to tree tubes here.

at Dreamtime we have a 2 1/2 acre forest farm demonstration that weve been
growing for about 7 years or so. In the first 5 years I would say that we
lost
more than 50% of each years plantings to mice & rabbits. (& the 5th year was
way more drastic)... so we bit the bullet & put everything in tree tubes or
wire cages & have been doing that "religiously" since. just did a walk thru
see if there is any rabbit damage so far & I could not find one tree that had
been touched. in fact, since there is a blanket of snow I was able to see the
patterning of wear the rabbits went & they do not even approach the tree
tubes,
so they are acting as visual barriers as well.

we've been discussing live trapping rabbits & keeping them in a pen &
fattening
them up for a few months before butchering them, has anyone made use of them
like this....

so recently read a stack of Smithsonians & discovered 2 interesting articles
related to permaculture.. the first an article about Polyface Farm which
seems
to be a polycultured animal farm, using natural grazing techniques,
value-added
sales techniques, etc... the other article of interest was a scare article
about how nightcrawlers are european invaders & are destroying the humus layer
of forests at an alarming rate & endangering natural diversity, complete with
different techniques that could be used to get rid of this horrible scourge.

mIEKAL
dreamtime village | zone 4 | sw wisconsin

  • an observation, mIEKAL aND, 11/30/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • an observation, mIEKAL aND, 11/30/2000