permaculture - Re: Tibetan Centre-India wants PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tibetan Centre-India wants PC
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:27:17 -0700

Robin, I couldn't find the request in this letter. What do they need?
Scott

At 08:39 AM 11/27/00 +1100, you wrote:
A PDC graduate, Ingrid, sent me this request - I'm circulating it hoping
there's the right person out there somewhere...

Tenzin Palmo was born during world war 2 in London. She became a
Tibetan Buddhist nun when she was 18 (or young anyway). At one stage she
spent 12 years in solitary meditation in the Himalayas. I have only heard
her speak once on the radio in an interview, and then I heard her speak
at the Theosophical society where I was running the shop book stall.Quite
a remarkable person. If you put Tenzin Palmo into an internet browser,
you'll find a website which has details about the Nunnery. Tenzin Palmo
dislikes publicity and crowds, (I supose that reflects on her ability to
be alone for 12 years!),but in the course of setting up the Nunnery, has
been on a lecture tour in the last few months and has come to terms with
having a website based on her name. The long and short of all this is
that she seems to be a woman of integrity.
Monica Joyce is the Project Director for setting up the Nunnery. She
left a fairly high position with Random House publishers in order to help
Tenzin in this task. SHe does live in Australia some of the time, but for
the most of the year is in northern India. As you would probably summise,
contact with northern India phone and net wise is much slower than what
we know here, and although post gets through fairly reliably (so Monica
said), it too is pretty slow.
If you pass on Monicas details to whoever, it could be helpful to
remind her of "the conversation with Ingrid at Adyar" so that she has
some idea of how the individual/group came to have her contact details.
Shes had so much on her plate with the tour that she might be nonplussed
to suddenly be contacted out of the blue by Permaculture people she's
never heard of.

Contact details for Monica Joyce:
Email for Monica and Tenzin Palmo: monicajoyce@hotmail.com

Dongyu Gatsal Ling Nunnery
Tashi Jong
P.O. Taragarh
Distt Kangra HP 176 081
India
Phone +91 1894 62617

address in Australia:
7a Tessa St,
Chatswood, 2067 NSW
+61 2 9419 2096 ph
+61 2 9419 2092 fax

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: pci@permaculture-inst.org
Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq

  • Re: Tibetan Centre-India wants PC, Scott Pittman, 11/27/2000