permaculture - Re: Chemical Residuals/ Wild Rose

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chemical Residuals/ Wild Rose
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:24:51 -0800

Aloha,

----- Original Message -----
From: <FranksFarm@aol.com>
> As a result I have loads of multi flora rose that will really cut you up
as
> you try to get by in the woods. I also have areas of pasture where they
grow
> profusely.

Check the info in the Plants for a Future database (this is what I get from
a search on multiflora rose as common name, so maybe it's what you've
got...?):
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Rosa+multiflora

Vitamin-rich fruits; rootstock for other rose varieties; soil
stabilization; etc...

> I have tried cutting them down with loppers but there are sooooo many.
Plus I
> don't really know if I'm not making the problem WORSE since newer, more
> tender growth quickly shoots up! At least the smaller vines are not so
> dangerous!.

The tender shoots are apparently edible (see PFAF DB info above)...on the
other hand, if you are trying to lop them down...try vertically
slicing/sawing the woody stumps, or drilling holes down into them...this
may get them to rot instead of sprouting...

John Schinnerer
Human Habitat Design
Cultural & Ecological Designing
johns@eco-living.net