permaculture - OT Re: Keyline books was Re: Keylines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: OT Re: Keyline books was Re: Keylines
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:10:32 -0800

on 11/10/00 5:12 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. at lflondon@mindspring.com
wrote:

> is samizdat derived from "same as that (dat)" ? :-)

Hmm. Maybe Russian and English are the same language. Samizdat is a Russian
word for the illegal, underground "counter-revolutionary" literature that
was passed around during the communist period. A lot of non-Russian novels
and books full of unacceptable ideas were distributed this way. We have our
own versions here; I think it's a word that fills an important niche.

Using it makes me feel like a wild-eyed, bomb-throwing revolutionary.

Toby

  • OT Re: Keyline books was Re: Keylines, Toby Hemenway, 11/11/2000