permaculture - RE: Lab-Lab

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mike Skinner (Easy Hay)" <EasyHay@arn.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Lab-Lab
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:14:50 -0600

Greeting, All,

     I once tracked down a Lab-Lab supplier in 1994,  Schuster Farms, in San Juan, Texas,

who specializes in wildlife and domestic forage seeds. They once sold Tecomate, a perennial

corn, but a recent letter said they had sold the Tecomante Trade Mark Label. Anyhow, the

Lab-Lab price is now quoted at $3 per pound. The letter says they “do intensive research on wildlife

habitat and nutrition mgmt, from native and natural browse to food plot forage seeds.” Furthermore,

they say they have an open book policy on info dissemination. 1 800 332-4054, schusterfarms@aol.com.,

www.schusterfarms.com.

The brochure says, “Lablab is an annual, warm season forage legume similar in appearance to cowpeas.

Lablab is the most drought tolerant plant avail. for annual food plots and more productive late in the growing

season than any other forage available.  Young growing leaves exceed 30% protein and have a 2:1 calcium to

phosphorus ratio, perfect for growing huge antlers during the peak period of antler growth.”

Another interesting plant: “Siratro Aztec is a perennial tropical legume as long as temperatures are above

25 degrees.  Siratro is heavily browsed by deer and quail relish the seed crop.”  $10 per pound.

And still: “Leucaena is a deep rooted leguminous shrub that contains 20-25% protein and is utilized by a variety of wildlife

and cattle.  $10 per pound.

If any are good, maybe we could get a group discount ???

Mike Skinner

Texas panhandle.