permaculture - Re: Wood for cooking

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Wood for cooking
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:31:12 -0800

on 10/28/00 3:08 PM, Sharon Gordon at gordonse@one.net wrote:

> I wanted to check and see what people are doing for wood for cooking
> and how they are conserving it.

The people who have done the most stove research that I know of are at
Aprovecho Reseach Center in western Oregon, http://www.efn.org/~apro
Besides what's on their site, they have booklets and papers on various stove
designs. They are very busy and sometimes email to them gets mislaid, so if
you try to contact them and don't hear back in a couple weeks, try again.

>And I have also seen a drawing of a stove which
> looks to be made from a #10 can (about a foot high) which has holes at the
> bottom.

Apro has a design made from a #10 can and 4 soup cans, a small rocket stove,
that can be built with tin snips, and makes an incredible camping stove.
It's in one of their booklets.

Toby