permaculture - Grow your own fuel oil seeds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Grow your own fuel oil seeds
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:55:39 -0400

A person on another growing/sustainable list asked about this fuel
seed. Any ideas as to what it might be?
Sharon
gordonse@one.net

I recently saw on Discovery, that there is a tree (I believe from China)
that produces a seed that can be used as fuel with no refining. This
tree drops an estimated 2,000 lbs. of seed annually and they talked of
growing groves of this tree in hawaii. They showed a guy pick up a seed
from under the tree and light it and a blue flame jetted out the side
for about 10-15 seconds. It reminded me of a smoke bomb when first lit.
I did not catch the name of the tree and was wondering if anyone on the
list has herd of it. If so, could you give me the scientific name of
this tree and if possible where seed could be purchased. I would like to
try and see if I can grow these down here in New Orleans.