permaculture - Re: fresh water at beach?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fresh water at beach?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:27:21 -0700

Aloha,

There's a solar desalinization project that's been going for quite a while
(since 1995 or earlier) at the village of Miloli'i on the Big Island.
Somewhat similar situation - low rainfall area, right on the coast. They
do get more precip for catchment than your site, though. As far as I know
it's still there and was set up by some sort of economic
development/community development corporation.

I will dig a bit and see if I can find anyone I know who has contact info
for the organization/site/project.

Ten inches a year, even with big roofs and big tanks, would not support
first world water wastage - er, I mean usage...is this a local project or a
development for gringos?

John Schinnerer
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Human Habitat Design