permaculture - Re: chickens again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: chickens again
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:20:24 -0600

At 04:55 PM 9/14/00 +1100, you wrote:

I have found from a full-on weedscape the chickens need 2 weeks to
eradicate the weeds then I give them a deep straw litter for another 2
weeks before moving them on. As I have heavy clay soils I aerate the soil
with a garden fork (opening it NOT turning it) before planting. I avoid
planting root crops immediately after cook tractoring (risk of ecoli from
manure) but concentrate on tall above-ground bearing plants.

Robyn Francis

Permaculture Education
Djanbung Gardens
PO Box 379
Nimbin NSW 2480
Thanks, Robyn

I just moved them this morning, and could not see any manure, it sort of disappeared in straw already. The plan was to plant garlic in two weeks, but after your message I will beware, and plant brassicas for winter crop.

Arina

  • chickens again, permaculture institute, 09/03/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: chickens again, permed, 09/14/2000
    • Re: chickens again, Scott Pittman, 09/14/2000