permaculture - RE: all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES used in our course notes.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: RE: all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES used in our course notes.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:9:3

On 08/28/00, "Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>" wrote:...
> While I have led the good fight against Russian Olive
> (Elaeagnus angustifolia) which is claiming our riparian areas I recently
> realized that without the Russian Olive these riparian areas would have
> no overstory at all.&nbsp;

Russian Olive, although not native to CO is also preferred by our Natural
Resource division for riparian restoration, soil erosion and water
conservation. I do have a few very old cottonwoods (rotting) left in the
floodplane, although it very seldom floods anymore, and they are considered
by NR as 'weed trees', so strange.

Also, when we were in Beline, NM last year for a passive solar adobe
workshop, I was enchanted with a tree there, possibly you can tell me what
it is. It looked very similar to a midwest locust, but had long, dark pods
and the seeds inside where a chocolate brown color, very hard. Do you know
this tree?

Blessings,
Ava