permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: August 05, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: August 05, 2000
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:30:33 -0600

This is a favorite point of mine. Who gets to definethis beauty beast? I walk
in beauty, and my designs are always beautiful, and I am continually adding
to and increasing their beauty. But my criteria for beauty include many items
that don't register on the scale in any garden or landscaping magazine I have
ever seen. I have had several very good vegetable growers tell me they pull
dandelions (Taraxacum) because they are ugly! I have never heard anyone
criticize Pc as lacking in the esthetic dimension and yet furnish a
definition of beauty that resonates for me.
A good design surprises you continually with its own spontaneous, autocthonos
beauty. Can you imagine to control it?!

I cannot. My designs are beautiful too, and yet the conversation was about why mainstream landscape designers avoid pc, not about criticizing permaculture among permies, or defining beauty.

arina