permaculture - APPOLOGY as requested RE: Logo Symbolism & other threads - my hopes for all of us to find our own niche and inspiration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "askpv" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "Permacltur@aol. com" <Permacltur@aol.com>, "Permacul" <permacul@tm.net.my>, "Permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Pacific Edge Permaculture" <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • Subject: APPOLOGY as requested RE: Logo Symbolism & other threads - my hopes for all of us to find our own niche and inspiration
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:53:30 +1000

I have always admired everyone who works in permaculture for their efforts at promoting it.
I am happy to apologise to anyone who feels accused of stealing when they weren't.

I have been on the net in permaculture for 6 years now and maybe I am turning into a grouchy old woman.
I am feeling tired of finding copies, i keep searching for invention, for creativity and a chance for permaculture to move on.

I am concerned with what is legal, but even more concerned with
1. what is ethical
and
2. what will force Bill to take more control over.
I have mentioned this before and my fears are rising.
what i see right now is a growing trend for Bill to feel compelled to control the 'distribution' of his work, this has been brought on
by either a real or perceived mis-use of Bill's work.
We have seen a number of cases in recent years of people presenting his work as their own.
[I am not talking about my own work - I take what measures i can to protect it and it is not my main source of income or permaculture work. and did you know
that in my own case some people have even had the decency to ask could they copy all my texts and set up doing exactly what we do for free, without even
thinking it may cause some limiting of our services here - some people can't see the impact of their 'duplication' for want of a euphemism].

I believe Permaculture will only shrink with copyright controls getting tighter and tighter.
I like standards (as you may know i work in ISO14000 Environmental standards)
so i like some 'controls', but i also believe permaculture needs freedom to move forward.

We are now looking at controls on teaching bodies too coming into play, (this is only a rumour
and i hope it is wrong).  It had been suggested to me that another teaching body was not producing an adequate course (and i did get to see a copy of
their notes and they were
inadequate for the teaching situation)
so should be no longer allowed to distribute certificates.

Some teaching bodies have grown to be really well organised and providing texts that
are suitable for university courses etc, some teaching bodies are less organised but in their doing permaculture.
both are valuable teaching and it should be up to the student to chose who is most suitable for them.
[Without actually seeing the notes and doing the course it is really hard to compare the different bodies.
from the outset the course outlines are very flimsy so unless the 'controlling body' lifts it's
game and endorses a better course guideline there will be variable standards. ]

If Bill chooses to get tougher on the whole game, it will die quickly.
Lets encourage people to move forward, to find new logos, to develop further techniques
and resources such as plant lists through to soft technologies.

I would feel time is wasted if i had to invent a new name, a new organisation for a similar lifestyle movement.  The term permaculture is now better known,
on TV and making some inroads into mainstream.

April