permaculture - Re: Nettles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nettles
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 11:39:45 -0600

At 09:32 PM 8/4/00 -0400, you wrote:
hi,

What is the actual botanical name for the nettle folks are talking about?

I typed in nettle at Garden,com and was given a list of primarily flowers
none of which looked like the plant I call a nettle.

I have lots of wild flowers, and "weeds" on my property and would welcome
suggestions on how best to ID them. Most locals don't really seem to know the
actual names of common plants.
Well, nettles sting, and sting really painfully, making small round bumps on your skin, that itch. Stinging nettle is used for reducing arthritis symptoms - as the stings deliver relief from pain, and after a short while one develops resistance to pain caused by nettle. One applies fresh strong nettle to the joints daily in summer time. (Actually I heard that ant bites are also good for arthritis treatment)

Nettles grow in clumps,  tall (3' +), with leaves growing from the opposite sites of the stem from the same spot, with one big sharp pointed leave accompanied by a small rosette of tiny leaves (all from the same spot). They are blooming now, flowers are tiny green and look like tiny balls hanging on a short string. The Latin name is Urtica

Nettles are good for a tea (in mixture with other herb) to reduce allergic reactions, as blood cleanser, supports liver function, is excellent for compost tea and a must for many BD preps; the foliar spray of Nettle tea reduces aphid infestations in a green house (I tried, it worked), used for livestock forage, can be cooked with ( when young and does not sting) - so one can hardly survive without a good nettle patch.

Arina

  • Re: Nettles, FranksFarm, 08/04/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Nettles, mbgrey, 08/04/2000
    • Re: Nettles, FranksFarm, 08/05/2000
    • Re: Nettles, Scott Pittman, 08/05/2000