permaculture - Re: Summarising discussion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Jensen" <robertscroft@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Summarising discussion
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:31:54 EST

Scott wrote:

"Why, then, with the snake-egg logo unavailable, should we not design our own global permaculture logo?

Such a logo could:

- use the familiar 'egg' shape

Why even should it have "egg shape"? Egg is a symbol of life, but there are many recognizable symbols of life, well being, creation etc. I am just afraid that if the logo is similar to the existing, there will be more disputes and misunderstanding.

My symbol for a new logo is human being."

New Logo idea # 2 Fried Egg on plate, where the plate symbolizes the circular motion of much of this discussion at the moment. Apologies to all those who are passionate and knowledgable on all these subjects.

I feel as though much of this discussion is akin to people flexing their knowledge muscles to impress their peers, when the main game is spreading the "permaculture" message and benefits.

I liked "permaculture" from the very first time I came across it, I think if the idea of "permaculture" can be shown to people they will also mostly like it and use it when they are ready. Logo's may be important to some people, yet who can know if it is the concept or the logo that prompts memory of an idea?

Robert