permaculture - Re: Thistles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Thistles
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:45:33 -0600

i wonder if anyone knows if this is possible:  could
the plant possibly have enough energy to complete the
seed after being pulled by the roots?
I cannot back it up with a credited source, but yes, a plant can and will compete seed development after being pulled  by the roots. I observed many examples on our land, and seems like plants with wind distributed seed are especially good at surviving.
My rule of weed management is to pull plants BEFORE flowering starts. Not all the plants of the same species bloom at the same time, and if you wait till first blooms, you may miss plants that are ahead, already pollinated and seeded. My rule is : if it cannot photosynthesize, it will die of starvation.  Waiting untill a particular moment in plant development is too risky on a big scale.

We successfully killed elms by cutting all the green growth during entire growing season. Next year it was not there anymore, but reappeared in the third season. One more cutting finished it.

Good luck

Arina

  • Re: Thistles, stephan leimroth, 08/01/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Thistles, LEE, 08/01/2000
    • Re: Thistles, Scott Pittman, 08/02/2000