permaculture - Re: Plants For A Future database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Morris <pfaf@scs.leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Plants For A Future database
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:34:05 +0100

> From: 1Earth Permaculture <permaculture@start.com.au>

> >did you get plants for a future's permission to re-represent their
> site?

Just to confirm that Marcus has arranged with us to host the australian
mirror
of the Plants For A Future database. For quite some time we had been
looking
to get US and Australian mirrors to help overcome effects caused by
the speed of light. Lawrence and Metalab were great in helping
us to get the Metalab US mirror. Several people in Australia
approached us about hosting an Australian mirror and Marcus
was the one closest to our views and also the only one to get his act
together. He was also great in only asking for a small amount of
unobtrusive "rebranding", i.e. the header page, which I feel is fair
compensation for the costs he has incurred in hosting the page.
While I'm in credit mode a lot of respect to Lee Flyer who came up with
the idea of putting the database on the web in the first place
and also did the first version.

I'd also like to draw peoples attention that the database now features
a readers comment section where people can add extra information
to the database page for any plant in the database. The dream is
to gather together the vast amount of plant knowledge that people
all over the world have. There is a lot of good info out there
but it is often very hard to find. Hopefully the comments section
will go some way to help people find this info. We would like this
to turn into some community forum rather than just a Plants For
A Future project, although there is a good way to go on that front.
Its still very early days in the project and I'd welcome any
suggestions that people have on making it more user friendly etc.

In peace

Rich

p.s. note our new fancy domain name!

pps My spelling checker suggests I replace MetaLab with Meatball :-)
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web: http://www.pfaf.org/