permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: July 26, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeffrey Newman <newman@bcinternet.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: July 26, 2000
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:45:45 -0700

permaculture digest wrote:

> 3. Re: Canada Thistles
>
> Subject: Re: Canada Thistles
> From: mbgrey <MBGREY@mnp.net>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:04:37 -0400
>
> cutting off the bloom as it is flowering is supposed to work according to
> Gene Logsdon, author of Contrary Farmer
> --
> Marty Grey

Marty and Ava,

Thanks for the ideas. The challenge in this particular circumstance is that
the setting
is a fairly large cattle/horse ranch and any effective measures will need to
be
applicable on a large scale. My friend is working with the usual pull of
financial
expedience though he himself is quite determined to find a way. I'm doing
what I can to
encourage him.

So, in his case, tilling would destroy the natural vegetation; decapitating
at prime
time is too labour intensive . . . etc. I think I mentioned he is presently
mowing them
down in the hopes of weakening them.

Ava, do sheep really eat thistle? I though it was only goats. And I don't
think Uncle
Sam will allow thistles across the border, will he?

If we come up with something viable here, it could influence neighbouring
ranchers.
This would be a real-life demo.

Meanwhile, this week's local newspaper carries an item on dealing with
thistles right
in my own back yard - 108 Mile Ranch. The major infestation is around the
lake where
mowing or tillage is impossible. Fortunately regulations prohibit the use of
pesticide
close to water. The "Green Belt Committee" turned down the option of using
"natural
enemies" imported from Europe because the long-term outcome is not known.
They are
presently calling for volunteers to pull them up realizing that many will
re-grow but
it will weaken and reduce them. (This has certainly been the case on my own
property)

So . . . Recognizing the wonderful role these plants play as scabs, it
seems they
are largely misplaced here and pushing out many indigenous species. Any
further
thoughts out there?

- Jeffrey in the Cariboo region of central British Columbia

Jeffrey Newman

JN Web Design
http://www.jnweb.com/
Phone: 1 250 791-9206