permaculture - Canada Thistles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeffrey Newman <newman@bcinternet.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Canada Thistles
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:56:42 -0700

I realize we had a length discussion on this topic a while ago but I don't
think this
aspect was covered.

A friend of mine is looking for ways to control/reduce the large Canada
thistle crop
on his pasture land. It is cattle/horse grazing land in the Cariboo area of
central
British Columbia, Canada. Despite its name, this thistle is not native to
Canada and
is in fact classified as a "noxious weed." There are large areas with high
percentages of thistle and the only economically-viable way he has come up
with is to
cut them down with a tractor-pulled mower, a method which apparently has a low
success rate.

If you need more information in order to make a suggestion, please let me
know.

- Jeffrey Newman

Jeffrey Newman

JN Web Design