permaculture - Jah herb insured

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Verne L. Chinampas" <moistearth@yahoo.com>
  • To: hopedance@omnipost.com
  • Subject: Jah herb insured
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

Now that insurance companies offer to reimburse policy holders for
unjust seizure of their homegrown medical cannabis, you KNOW the times
are achanging people.

blessed be,
vlc
-----------------

Seized Pot Draws Insurance claim

Tuesday June 13, 2000

CITRUS HEIGHTS (AP) -- A man who claims he was
growing pot for medical purposes, as allowed by
Proposition 215, is seeking money from his
homeowner's insurance company for plants seized by
sheriff's deputies.

Chris Miller and his wife were arrested on marijuana
cultivation charges after Placer County sheriff's
deputies raided his home in March 1999.

All charges were dropped.

Now Miller, 48, is trying to persuade Allstate
Insurance
Co., which insures his home, to pay him about $9,000
for the loss of the 17 plants seized by deputies.

Miller maintains he was growing the pot under the
provisions of Proposition 215, the 1996 California
ballot measure that authorizes medicinal use of
marijuana.

Allstate has offered Miller a settlement of $1,272, an
amount he rejects.

"With that offer, after I get through with my legal
fees
and $500 deductible, I would be left with less than
$75," Miller said.

Because the claim hasn't been settled, Allstate cannot
publicly discuss it, said Sue Francesconi, a
spokeswoman for the company.

"I can assure you that we are working with Mr. Miller
and his attorney in good faith, and we are currently
negotiating," Francesconi said. "We want to offer him
a fair settlement ... and we will."

Insurance claims for lost medical marijuana are "a
new issue for insurance companies to grapple with,"
said Candysse Miller of the Insurance Information
Network of California, a trade association.