permaculture - RE: Permaculture today- its unique contribution - institutions have a place. We haven't time for each of us to re-invent the water-wheel.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "askpv" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Egoup" <permaculturevisions@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: Permaculture today- its unique contribution - institutions have a place. We haven't time for each of us to re-invent the water-wheel.
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:13:55 +1000

About a short-fall of students:
In our office there are more and more students each month.
we don't have any short-fall, in fact i worry about maintaining the quality
of the
teaching project so i limit our exposure rather than have to turn students
away.

what is really booming for us is providing our course notes to University
Lecturers
and group facilitators. It enables people to learn permaculture at a
reasonable fee
and encourages them to form a support group. though i don't believe price
has
much to do with them enrolling.
Information has to be accessible. We must never underestimate the power of
the
Global Gardener Video and now that it is off the air, I wish someone would
produce another, more up-to-date video reflecting today's attitudes and
needs.

The teaching has to be flexible, we are serving a market that is sometimes
employed,
most of the time over-worked, and generally tired. (the working poor)
Everything people do has to be researched, they even work hard working out
and pricing
their holiday plans!!

Few people can afford to go to courses for a two-week period unless it
is going to guarantee them a market-edge. even the aquaculture workshops
for farmers
that i have been interested in, are only one-weekend courses.
Farmers are often working during the week as well.
(but then farmers are the least frequent enrolments in our books -
permaculture has not hit the great farming belt of Australia yet.
Permaculture is hard to
prove commercial viability (it is still the 'poor little idealist' - but
still, i argue the family has to eat! and
why get in your truck to go to town when you could pick fresher food at your
door.)

There seems to be a big growth for permaculture in Canada more than any
other country.
[something is happening in B.C. Canada that is causing quite a bit of
excitement. Anyone know what it is?]

I am very grateful that much has become 'institutionalised'. from
insitutionalisation we have a benchmark,
a place to push forward.

For example: we finally, have a set of course notes that are adequate, that
are not just
bit and pieces of different texts and magazines. So, From this position the
course has grown, has responded to student needs and questioned relevance
and not once have i found the PDC topcis lacking,
in fact it is probably more like a two-year course. this is a good example
of dynamic design.
it is the quality loop - start with a solution, document it
(standardise/institutionalise) then re-design, improve,
the standardise again.

Another example is the introduction of the world quality standard: ISO1400
Finally the world has a means of measuring companies, helping them set new
ideals and work
towards them. the community has something to challenge the company into
compliance and can support those
companies that meet their standard, from this we can getting tighter control
on pollution and in the end,
more efficient industry.

April
Permaculture Visions International.
Students and graduates in 19 countries
(Australia, Canada, NZ, USA, France, Malaysia, Brazil, India, UK,
Jerusalem, Israel, Ireland, Africa, Thailand, Japan, Portugal, Tonga,
Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong.)
Exclusive Student and Graduate Mailing list
Commercial and Private Permaculture System Design
ISO 14000
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv>
mailto:askpv@ozemail.com.au <mailto:askpv@ozemail.com.au>
ICQ#46214191