permaculture - Re:Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dawn Shepard <dawnjs@mail.wsu.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Sustainability
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:43:45 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Toby. This was a very helpful post.

> Most definitions of sustainability are laughable in that they refer to
> "sustainable growth" or "sustainable in alignment with economic policy" (an
> earlier post linked to some of these). This is because most definitions have
> to be made politically palatable. And in some cases, more excusably, a short
> time frame is all that can be realistically grasped or predicted for (as
> Keynes said, "in the long run we're all dead"). All systems undergo
> unpredictable perturbations; straight-line extrapolations always wind up
> wrong (read the first edition of "Limits to Growth" to see how wrong they
> were).

Now that you mention it I remember hearing something about this. I still
hope we'll develop better tools and imporve our skills at this. Do you
think it's possible? Of course there still seems to be a lot of use
in determining what would happen if the context did not change
unpredictably, no?

Dawn