permaculture - Response to WOW

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J. Hobbs" <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Response to WOW
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:28:32 +0100

Hello All,

Having taught Woman's Workshops and Co-ed courses over the past 9 years I
thought I might offer some personal thoughts and participant comments on
Women Only Workshops (WOW).

Random perceptions:

The workshop evolved through requests from women to fill a niche.

The curriculum for co-ed workshops is the same as that offered for WOW.

Some people take the workshop because it is only for woman. But most take
it because they are interested in the subject and it is offered at a
convenient time.

Point of Clarification: The workshops are not always filled but they
always happen.

*************.................*******************...............**************

As I looked back through the evaluations- I figured some of the Woman's
comments might provide the best response to the remarks and questions
that have been generated in the PC listserve over the last few weeks.

The most common evaluation comment is that participants appreciate the fact
that I stress there are 'no stupid questions' and 'all questions are
honored'.
(This is also emphasized in co-ed facilitations, as well.)
It still surprises me when people preface their question with an apology
for asking a question they fear someone will think is 'dumb'.

Other remarks:

"Enjoyed the camaraderie"

"It was calm mellow, comfortable. Glad it was all female though I would
have come to a mixed workshop."

"Everyone was able to express themselves."

"I now see the value more than ever of the nourishing, inspiring, safe
environment created with women. And that we (women) can do it. I think men
would provide a different perspective, maybe things we might not otherwise
think of.

"Casual, informative and relaxed atmosphere."

"A place for everyone. Quick establishment of safety and group dynamics."

"Woman seem to compel/invite/stimulate exchange of ideas without
judgements: instead they build on each other's knowledge."

"Being open and accessible to express individual viewpoints."

"Connecting with other woman who have similar philosophies."

And this seems to sum it up-
"There is nothing like spending a week-end with a group of woman. I don't
think we were strangers when we met and now we have a shared reflection as
family."

Women's Workshops empower by example which has been done for centuries in
many cultures.

Jude

  • Response to WOW, J. Hobbs, 05/25/2000