permaculture - Re: Geese

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Irwin <jwirwin@permaculture.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Pc Env List Service <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Re: Geese
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:10:51 -0400

Pc Folks -
I used to teach at a small school in Barnesville OH, called Olney
Friends School. They have a pond, approx. an acre in size. For over a
decade there have been too many geese & therefore too much vegetation in the
water. They threw in some grass carp, which has helped some, but the problem
persists.

If they were willing to have geese for supper it surely would have happened
by now.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the goose population or elminate them
without hurting them? Even a simple method of harvesting the vegetation for
use as fertilizer might help. I believe the water is shallow enough to walk
in along the entire bank

Some experts have been consulted, but now this group. Here's hoping!

John

  • Re: Geese, John Irwin, 05/23/2000