permaculture - Fwd: [UAI] Extended Deadline: ECAI 2000 WS on Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in MAS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Abdon" <jabdon@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Fwd: [UAI] Extended Deadline: ECAI 2000 WS on Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in MAS
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 22:45:29 PDT

From: Markus Hannebauer <hannebau@first.gmd.de>
To: uai@CS.ORST.EDU
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 15:37:09 -0700

[Please apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.]

Because of several requests and temporal overlaps with other impor-
tant events like IEEE Robotics and Automation we have set a

NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE: 10th of MAY 2000

Final Call for Papers/Participation

BALANCING REACTIVITY AND SOCIAL DELIBERATION IN MULTI-AGENT SYSTEMS

A Workshop at the
14th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2000)

http://www.first.gmd.de/plan/ecai-2000-ws.html

Berlin, Germany, August 22nd, 2000

Important Dates
---------------

Deadline for submission: May 10th, 2000
Notification: June 1st, 2000
Deadline for camera-ready papers: June 10th, 2000
Workshop: August 22nd, 2000

Scope
-----

Today's envisioned applications of intelligent systems in general
and multi-agent systems in particular confront researchers and
developers with the difficulty of finding the right balance between
reactive and socially deliberative behavior. Reactive systems are
capable of adapting very quickly to unforeseen changes in the en-
vironment and are hence said to be more robust and efficient. On
the other hand, they usually lack the necessary overview to produce
behavior that can compete with the results of in-depth reasoning
techniques. In contrary to that, socially deliberative systems
allow for exploiting environmental information and coordination
mechanisms to build up through-thought individual and even team-
oriented strategies. Though their problem-solving results are
usually much better than in reactive systems, deliberative systems
are much more susceptible to dynamic environments and often lack
the potential for real-time computation.

This workshop focuses on theoretical, technical and practical work
on balancing between these two extremes in the context of collabo-
rative work in multi-agent systems. Contributions from Artificial
Intelligence as well as Robotics are welcome.

Theoretical and technical topics of interest include, but are not
restricted to:

- Extension of reactive systems by cooperation

- Teaching deliberative systems reactivity and real-time

- Efficient coordination, cooperation and organization approaches

- Anytime approaches and algorithms

- Design and evaluation of hybrid multi-level agent architectures

- Short-term, medium-term and long-term intentionality

- Enriching group behavior by environmental, opponent and social
models

- Individual and social adaptivity

To keep the workshop focussed, we encourage practical contributions
to be directed at:

- Multi-agent problem solving (planning, scheduling, control ...)

Real-world problems often require distributed solving strate-
gies, because of natural distribution, social competence and
efficiency matters. Multi-agent approaches to such problems are
said to be more robust than monolithic systems, but usually en-
tail worse solutions. How can this be overcome by better balan-
cing between reactive and deliberative behavior?

- RoboCup

RoboCup has proven to be a great and challenging benchmarking
scenario both to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. In
RoboCup reactivity and real-time are a must, but social delibe-
ration gets more and more important to match the world's lea-
ding teams. Hence, there is much research work to be done con-
sidering the topics of this workshop.

IMPORTANT: Papers that focus on RoboCup-specific topics should
make clear how the work could be applied to other domains as
well. We encourage you to pick at least one specific domain and
argue that such is the case.

Submissions
-----------

Participation in the workshop will be restricted to 30 persons. We
encourage active participation by inviting only people with sub-
mitted papers or with a single-page statement of interest, reflec-
ting the authors' concrete relation to the field and topic. All
workshop participants must register for ECAI 2000.

Informal pre-proceedings of the workshop will be published in time
to be available at the workshop. Additionally, Springer-Verlag has
committed to publish an edited version of the workshop proceedings
in its well-known Lecture Notes on Artificial Intelligence series
(http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/index.html). Authors of selected
papers will be asked to extend their articles for inclusion in this
LNAI volume.

Papers should be formatted according to the LNAI style guide for
authors (refer to http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html)
and should not exceed 12 pages.

Papers should be submitted as Postscript-files and additionally as
pure Tex- and Eps-files via eMail to the contact person named be-
low. Alternatively, send four copies of your paper via ordinary
mail to the address of the contact person. Electronic submission is
strongly preferred.

Deadline for submission: May 10th, 2000
Notification: June 1st, 2000
Deadline for camera-ready papers: June 10th, 2000
Workshop: August 22nd, 2000

Organizing committee
--------------------

Markus Hannebauer (contact person)
Planning and Optimization Laboratory
Research Institute for Computer Architecture
and Software Technology (FIRST)
GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

Kekulestrasse 7, 12489 Berlin, Germany

Tel.: +49-30-6392 1866
Fax.: +49-30-6392 1805
eMail: hannebau@first.gmd.de
WWW: www.first.gmd.de/~hannebau

Jan Wendler
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Department of Computer Science
Humboldt University Berlin

Rudower Chaussee 25, 12489 Berlin, Germany

Tel.: +49-30-2093 3170
Fax.: +49-30-2093 3168
eMail: wendler@informatik.hu-berlin.de
WWW: www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~wendler

Enrico Pagello
Department of Electronics and Informatics
Faculty of Engineering
University of Padua

Via Gradenigo 6/a, 35131 Padova, Italy

Tel.: +39-049-827 7687
Fax.: +39-049-827 7699
eMail: epv@dei.unipd.it
WWW: www.dei.unipd.it

Program committee
-----------------

Minoru Asada, Osaka University, Japan
Ansgar Bredenfeld, GMD AiS, Germany
Hans-Dieter Burkhard, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Silvia Coradeschi, Oerebro University, Sweden
Klaus Dorer, Freiburg University, Germany
Peter Jarvis, SRI International, USA
Christoph Jung, infor AG, Germany
Gal Kaminka, University of Southern California, USA
Joerg P. Mueller, Siemens AG, Germany
Itsuki Noda, Stanford University, USA
Daniel Polani, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
Martin Riedmiller, Karlsruhe University, Germany
Jukka Riekki, University of Oulu, Finland
Josep Lluis de la Rosa, University of Girona, Spain
Peter Stone, AT&T Laboratories Research, USA
Manuela Veloso, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Additional information
----------------------

ECAI 2000 homepage
http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de

Workshop homepage
http://www.first.gmd.de/plan/ecai-2000-ws.html

| Markus Hannebauer www.first.gmd.de/~hannebau |
| Dipl.-Inform., Research Fellow hannebau@first.gmd.de |
| |
| Research Institute for Computer Architecture |
| and Software Technology (FIRST) |
| phone: +49- 30-63 92 18 66 |
| German National Research Center cell. p.: +49-177-267 43 60 |
| for Information Technology (GMD) fax: +49- 30-63 92 18 05 |