permaculture - Re: Bt and butterflies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <JRHALL@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bt and butterflies
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:33:05 -0500

A couple responses on my incomplete understanding of the BT issue. Bt corn
has only been widely planted the last 2-3 years, and I believe it is
long-lasting in terms of generations of affected soil organisms, but not like
a chemical fungicide.
Also, I've heard that Bt that has been GE'ed is much more widely biologically
active than its original ecological function (caterpillars only). It'll be
many years before the effects are understood, we have an experiment going on
across millions of acres. We can stop planting Bt corn next year and the
monarch will probably survive, given the worst possible case of pollen
impact. But the long term impact on soil communities is possibly a huge
question.
If anyone knows more about this, I'd appreciate your input! I'm just an
interested former economics major:)
-Jeff