permaculture - Bt and butterflies, was Re: sanet-mg-digest V1 #1760

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Bt and butterflies, was Re: sanet-mg-digest V1 #1760
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

Ava wrote:

>Speaking of corn, watch the butterfly's in the corn fields. Suddenly, they
>are dying from the corn pollen (which they feed upon).

Is this actually happening in the wild? Last I knew, scientists had taken
leaves dusted with Bt-engineered pollen and force-fed them to monarch
larvae in controlled experiments, but larval deaths hadn't actually been
seen outside the lab. If it has, that's big news.

As a former scientist, I'm a bit of a stickler at getting facts right. And
as an enviro, I know that if we make claims we can't support, we lose
credibility. So I just wanted to be sure this info is correct (and I'm no
fan of Bt-GMOs).

Toby