permaculture - (fwd) Re: NC law being proposed to make non-mowing of lawns illegal; comments on demos in DC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: london@metalab.unc.edu, lflondon@mindspring.com
  • Subject: (fwd) Re: NC law being proposed to make non-mowing of lawns illegal; comments on demos in DC
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:42:48 -0400

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:54:13, in agriculture-activist "Ava Devenport"
<essenheal@iname.com> wrote:

In Indiana, it is already against the law not to mow your lawn. You
not
only get fined, but the county comes in, mows everything down to
practically dirt, then attaches a bill to your water and sewer, if you
have
a well and septic, the bill is attached to your property taxes.
Either
way, if you don't pay, they take your property!

A friend of mine who lives on the very edge of the city limits planted
her
yard in medicinal herbs, as she is an herbalist. She even put birms
around
everything. Still, code enforcement came in, threatened her with
fines and
loss of property. She walked him through the paths, named each plant
and
identified the plants use, made no difference. They destroyed her
property
as she refused to remove the plants.

Indiana once had many beautiful 'cottage gardens', they're all gone
now due
to this law. What a terrible shame we've decided beauty and necessity
must
be replaced with lawns of grass that actually have no beneficial use
society. It's no wonder we're losing wildlife, they have nowhere to
go,
nothing to eat or protect them.

We have so much carbon monoxide in our atmosphere due to the fact that
the
'lungs of our earth' are being replaced with concrete and 'grass'.
The air
is already becoming toxic, as is the water. Soon we'll just have a
dead
planet with no survivors.

I'll keep planting and feeding what I can, and try to get my
neighbors,
family and community to do the same. I hope I can make at least a
small
contribution to the future.

Blessings,
Ava

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • (fwd) Re: NC law being proposed to make non-mowing of lawns illegal; comments on demos in DC, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/20/2000