permaculture - Re: Street Farmers (1970's)??? Any info????

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Emily A. Noble" <guinep@theriver.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Street Farmers (1970's)??? Any info????
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:35:17 -0700

Re Street Farmers........something like this was done maybe in the 70s or
early 80s in Santa Cruz, CA (USA). For a while they published a periodical
leaflet which may've been called FRUITION. I still have a few issues
somewhere........if there is strong interest and noone else has info at
hand, I will try to locate those for more info.......fairly certain the
project is no longer but will ask friend who lives in area. Emily
----------
>From: "Graham Burnett" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
>To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Street Farmers (1970's)??? Any info????
>Date: Wed, Apr 19, 2000, 4:15 AM
>

>A little off topic (perhaps no less so than the requests for info about the
wartime 'Dig For
>Victory' campaign that recently appeared on the gardening lists- to my mind
it's all in the same
>tradition :-), but a request for info...
>
>I've just been reading in Peter Harper & Godfrey Boyle's 'Radical
Technology' (published in the
>70's by 'Undercurrents' Magazine- itself a classic of the era) about a
group active in London in
>the early seventies called the Street Farmers, who took their inspiration
from the Situationist
>International and events of Paris 68, and advocated basically ripping up
the streets and pavements
>and planting them up with fruit trees and vegetables, as well as radical
architecture concepts like
>urban estates consisting of living houses created from bamboo, etc....
>
>Does anybody out there have recollections of this group, or copies of the
magazine they published
>in 1972, which apparently contained "a series of fantastic collages and
cartoons" which articulated
>their vision?
>
>I'd love to know more + see these visions!
>
>In anticipation,
>
>Graham Burnett
>35 Rayleigh Avenue
>Westcliff On Sea