permaculture - RE: paulownia trees, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: paulownia trees, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:56:39 -0700

>>They produce ungodly numbers of seeds which are widely
>>dispersed. This is why they're impossible to control.

> In fact, they were
>talking about cloning in order to reproduce them faster.

All of the companies that I've seen that sell Paulownias sell clones. If
they're not self-fertile, planting clones would obviate the invasiveness
potential. Anyone know about this? A search of "Paulownia" will turn up
several companies selling them on the net. They'd probably know. My only
experience with them is at the Real Goods demonstration center/store in
Hopland, CA. (Worth a stop just to lay on the floating dock and throw bugs
to the fish in the pond on a hot day.) I haven't noticed little Paulownias
coming up everywhere--but maybe they are diligently pulling out millions of
them every season so no one knows what's really going on!

Mikal--who's probably going to plant 6 or 8 of them to provide immediate
shade for hazelnuts and gooseberries which only grow here in heavy shade.

  • RE: paulownia trees, etc., John Schinnerer, 04/11/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: paulownia trees, etc., Mikal Jakubal, 04/12/2000